Snow is in her soul and the mountains will always be her home
Chance opportunities can change lives. As a child in Sweden, it was only natural for Marja to love the snow and to ski. But while working in Geneva at the age of 20, a visit to Verbier in the Swiss Alps coincided with a fall of fresh snow. Marja was captured by the joys of fresh tracks in virgin powder. It turned her skiing into an all-consuming passion.
She completed her studies in Sweden but knew she had to pursue what had become the love of her life. Travelling to New Zealand to Wanaka, friends persuaded her to compete in the national freeride competitions. As an inexperienced newcomer she entered the New Zealand Freeskiing Championships - and won. That was in 2000, she since has competed worldwide and is widely renowned for her incredible achievements. But still she is finding out just how far she can go.
Her motivation to perform comes from within, driven by a love of what she does. She enjoys every moment of the opportunities she has. Inspired by her friends and her family - and by all who are living their dream - whatever that dream may be; Marja is living her dream to the full. She never stops searching, always searching, for the thrill and joy of freeride.
Home: Ístersund and Garmisch
Nickname: Marge, Mary
Best Ever Run: Is yet to be had, but is probably going to be the first time on skis after 10 months of rehab after an injury.
Greatest Fear: The grief when family or friends pass away
Favourite Book: The Quiet Girl by Peter H°eg
Favourite Films: Anything I haven't seen before
Favourite Resort: Somewhere in Austria with no people and lots of powder
Philosophy: Have fun while you are at it
What inspires you? People who are having fun in what they are doing, who have chosen to do what they feel they want to do à.
- 2nd FWT Nissan Freeride World Tour, Chamonix. 2011
- 2nd overall at the Nissan Freeride World Tour. 2009.
- 1st place at Derby de la Meije, France, telemark women and team. 2008.
- 3rd overall at the Nissan Freeride World Tour, women's alpine. 2008.
- 1st place at Verbier Xtreme, women's alpine, Switzerland. 2007.
- 1st place Freeride World Tour virtural ranking, women's alpine, 2006/7.
- 2nd Flaine Rookies Quest, women's alpine, France. 2007.
- 3rd Courchevel Columbia Ride Week, filming competition, France. 2007.
- 1st place Engadine Snow, women's alpine, Switzerland. 2006.
- 3rd place Verbier Xtreme, women's alpine, Switzerland. 2006.
- 1st place Swedish Freeride Championships, women's alpine. 2004.
- 1st place Scandinavian Big Mountain Championships, women's alpine, Sweden. 2002.
- 1st Rodal Freeride, women's telemarking, Norway. 2001.
- 1st New Zealand Freeskiing Championships, women's alpine ôtelemarkingö. 2001.
- Free Radical Film Series: incl. "The Sunny Side (2011)", "The Unpublished" (2010), "618" (2009), "Satisfaction guaranteed" (2008), "Snowblind" (2006), "Rising" (2005), "Serious" (2004), "White Trash" (2003).
- Warren Millen Productions: "Higher Ground" (2005).
- Fischer Team DVD: "Final Cut" (2007), "True Tale" (2006).
- TV Appearances: incl. Nissan Freeride World Tour 2008 and 2009, O"Neill Verbier Xtreme 2007, and competition reports from North America, Europe and New Zealand on worldwide TV channels.
- Interviews, articles and photos: Incl. "Powder", "Snow", "Snow Extreme", "Fluid", "Skieur", "Ski and Board" etc.
- Part of the Eurosport Freeride Spirit TV show 09/10 and 10/11 October til May.
- Skitouring in Mongolia. 2009
- Charity trip to Peru with Summits4kids. 2009
- Charity trip to Ecuador with Summits4kids. 2010